Long Term Volunteering
Larkin Street is deeply committed to community partnerships and we are proud to have a team of volunteers with diverse backgrounds, interests, and experiences. Whether working directly with youth or in other supportive roles, individual volunteers can serve in a variety of ways on a long-term or short-term basis. The energy, skills, creativity, and time given by our volunteers supports both our youth and staff and helps to drive Larkin Street’s mission.
Larkin Street volunteers make a one year commitment to serving in our programs. We ask our volunteers to make Larkin Street a part of their lives long-term. Our one year commitment for volunteering is a must for one reason: our youth. The young people at Larkin Street have had many adults coming in and out of their lives, and volunteers help to provide consistency and stability and build trust with our youth by making that commitment.
Requirements for long-term volunteers:
- Must be 21 or older
- Must be willing to commit to volunteering on a weekly basis for a minimum of 1 year
- Must complete a thorough screening process
Process to become a long-term volunteer:
- Attend an information session (click here to sign up)
- Complete an application (received at the information session)
- Qualified applicants will be asked to participate in a group interview
- Complete 11 hours of volunteer training*
- Submit to TB test, LiveScan criminal background check, and reference checks
- Work with the Volunteer Manager to find the best program placement based on interests, skills, and availability as well as program needs
*Volunteer training: All long-term volunteers are required to complete 11 hours of training on site to prepare them for working with our youth. Volunteer Training takes place 3 times per year. Due to the busy holiday season, the training program is on hold between August and January.
Perhaps you would like to be involved, but your schedule doesn’t permit consistent long-term volunteering. Here are some examples of other ways you can get involved:
Spearhead a clothing, toiletry, or gift drive with colleagues, family, or friends.
Host a fundraising event to benefit Larkin Street at your headquarters, store, or local establishment
Partner with a local restaurant or business to host a party for your colleagues with a percentage of the proceeds benefiting Larkin Street
Administrative volunteers: We always need help behind-the-scenes with administrative work, such as events, finance, HR, or facilities. Lend your time and professional expertise to help make our organization the best it can be! Administrative volunteering does not require the 11 hour volunteer training before placement.
Please contact email@example.com with questions, or call 415.673.0911 x221.