POSITION TITLE: Bridge Academy Instructor
REPORTS TO: Director of Larkin Street Academy (LSA)
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITY: The primary role of the Bridge Academy (BA) Instructor is to oversee secondary bridge to college programming. Responsibilities include: teaching college readiness and academic enrichment classes; developing educational plans; enrollment and financial aid support to BA students; and oversee peer tutors/mentors.
EXEMPT STATUS: Non Exempt
UNION STATUS: Union
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Design and implement curriculum and programming that supports youth in developing skills to access and succeed in postsecondary education
- Teach four cycles of 8-10 week college readiness classes
- Work with Larkin Street Academy in implementing college-going culture
- In conjunction with Pre-College/Postsecondary Education positions, support college counseling activities
- Provide education outreach to youth in housing programs
- Develop education goals and case/education plans in areas such as budgeting, housing, substance use, transportation, and time management
- Coordinate between case managers and clients to clarify expectations, requirements, availability of incentives, etc.
- Support with events such as monthly LSA graduations, Back to School, and Career Night
- Foster relationships with community that strengthen the program
- Creates activities to support college and career exploration
- Track student attendance and stipends
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Collect and disseminate information on academic requirements, employment opportunities, and other pertinent services weekly to college program
- Timely completion of all services forms
- Responsible for supporting program services within the milieu. For example, crisis intervention or helping to maintain the safety of the program
- Responsible for contributing towards the care and welfare of staff and to the clients we serve.
- Other duties as assigned.
PHYSICAL & LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS:
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Outlook)
- Requires ability to lift, transfer, push/pull, maneuver, and reposition 25 lbs.
- Ability to reach, bend and walk.
- Finger manipulation.
- Ability to comprehend complex materials.
- Ability to speak and write English clearly and accurately.
- Bachelor Degree in social work or related field
BACKGROUND & EXPERIENCE:
- Knowledge of two and four year postsecondary institutions (including Career and Technical Education programs)
- Curriculum development a plus
- Tutoring and Instruction experience
- Ability to use experience and judgment to manage goals and projects
- Ability to be a self-starter with follow-through skills.
- Working knowledge of issues facing homeless youth
This position is represented by SEIU 1021 under a collective bargaining agreement.
Larkin Street reserves the right to revise job descriptions or work hours as required.
- Starting at DOE
- Choice of Kaiser medical plans, plus dental and vision- (with coverage at no cost for one of the Kaiser and Dental plans as well as Vision for Employees only)
- Health Care and Dependent Care Flexible spending accounts
- Life Insurance
- Vacation- (starting at 3 weeks, increasing to 5 weeks by year five)
- Sick time
- 11 Paid Holidays + Floating Holidays
- Employee Assistance Program
- Health Advocate Service
- Commuter Benefits Program
- Paid Sabbatical following 5 years of employment
- 403(b) retirement plan
HOW TO APPLY:
Submit a cover letter and resume to [email protected] then in the Subject Box please indicate the position that you are applying for.
Larkin Street Youth Services is an equal opportunity employer. Larkin Street Youth Service seeks qualified candidates with interest in the non-profit sector. We are committed to embracing diversity and consider all applicants for all positions without regard to color, ethnic background, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status, or any other legally protected class. We encourage applicants of diverse backgrounds to apply for any open position in which they feel qualified.