PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITY: The Residential Counselor will be reporting to the Program Manager. The primary responsibilities is to counsel individuals and provide group educational and guidance services.
EXEMPT STATUS: Non Exempt
UNION STATUS: Union
HOURS: 2 Shifts Available – Swing Only: 4pm – 12am
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- The collection, organization, and analysis of information about individuals through records, tests, interviews, and professional sources.
- Compilation and studies occupational, educational, and economic information to aid clients in making and carrying out objectives.
- Assists individuals to understand and overcome social and emotional problems.
- Engage in research and follow-up activities to evaluate counseling techniques.
- In conjunction with internal resources, the Counselor may teach domestic and practical skills or hold group meetings.
- May work in conjunction with the other members of staff to ensure the continuum of services for the clients.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversight and maintenance of community spaces.
- Safety awareness of situations and spaces
- Effective management of resources including foodstuffs (communal dinners), laundry and perimeter of facility.
- Other duties as assigned.
PHYSICAL & LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS:
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook)
- Ability to multi-task and efficiently manage priority action items
- Requires ability to lift, transfer, push/pull, maneuver, and reposition 25 lbs.
- Ability to reach, bend and walk.
- Finger manipulation.
- Ability to comprehend complex materials.
- Ability to speak and write English clearly and accurately.
- Bachelor’s degree in Counseling, Psychology or Social Work preferred or equivalent experience in a residential program.
BACKGROUND & EXPERIENCE:
- 2-3 years of experience working with high-risk youth in a shelter and/or transitional or supportive housing program(s) preferred.
- Ability to notice symptoms of use and abuse, recovery and treatment philosophies.
- Working knowledge of issues facing homeless youth who are actively using substances.
- Must be a self-starter with excellent follow-through skills.
- Must also have ability to work with high-risk youth and with diverse staff, clients, and volunteers.
Must have a clean driving record
- Opportunities for Bi-Lingual in Spanish are available.
- Starting $17.17.
- Choice of Kaiser medical plans, plus dental and vision- (with coverage at no cost for one of the Kaiser and Dental plans as well as Vision for Employees only)
- Health Care and Dependent Care Flexible spending accounts.
- Life Insurance.
- Vacation- (starting at 3 weeks, increasing to 5 weeks by year five)
- Sick time.
- 11 Paid Holidays + Floating Holidays.
- Employee Assistance Program.
- Health Advocate Service.
- Commuter Benefits Program.
- Paid Sabbatical following 5 years of employment.
- 403(b) retirement plan.
Larkin Street reserves the right to revise job descriptions or work hours as required.
I agree to all the foregoing duties, terms and conditions as stated herein by my signature below: