REPORTS TO: Larkin Street Academy Manager
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITY: To support and enhance college and career readiness programming offered in Larkin Street Academy programs and across the agency for transitional age students (17-24). The Technology/Computer Instructor will teach classes and provide trainings to students in a variety of education and employment programs. The instructor will build a positive learning community; and be able to inspire students of diverse academic, socio-economic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds as well as those with learning disabilities to become technologically proficient. The instructor must be able to organize and manage classroom technology; work with a team of instructor staff to provide technology classroom instruction; teach and improve upon curriculum to prepare students for college and career technology opportunities.
EXEMPT STATUS: Non Exempt
UNION STATUS: Union
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Instruct technology courses using curriculum that aligns to college-level courses, and includes mobile technology, coding, computer application, hardware and networking
- Develop activities that are interactive, creative, and combine different learning approaches for multiple technology topics
- Provide guidance for self-directed learning and provide one-on-one tutoring outside of class
- Keep accurate records and intake information on each participant including attendance, assessment, consent forms, surveys, etc.
- Work with program staff and program partners to develop and accomplish program goals
- Motivate students to increase their performance, attendance, and program retention
- Monitor daily classroom space and maintain appearance to maximize youth engagement
- Coordinate with Larkin Street Youth services staff to link youth to college and career programming offered through Larkin Street Academy
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:.
- Perform tasks and responsibilities in a complete and timely manner, complying with agency policies and standards and conforming to the requirements of this job description.
- Maintain a creative, team-building, cooperative approach to job performance and seek to bring a constructive, problem-solving orientation to all tasks.
- Maintain an awareness of the agency’s mission and work to promote the positive individual and social change goals it embodies.
- Exercise discretion and professional judgment at all times keeping with responsibilities carried personally and by the agency for the care and welfare of staff and to the youth in which we serve
- Actively strive to upgrade professional development skills through engaging in appropriate professional training and experience
- Maintain the strictest confidentiality
- Responsible for supporting program services within the milieu. For example, crisis intervention, helping to maintain the safety of the program, or covering the front desk.
- Other duties as assigned
PHYSICAL & LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS:
- Proficient in Microsoft Office 2013 (Word, Excel, and Outlook)
- Proficient in Office 365 (SharePoint, One Drive, Skype)
- Knowledge of Microsoft Windows 8.1/10
- Ability to speak in front of large groups of individuals
- Ability to multi-task and efficiently manage priority action items
- Requires ability to lift, transfer, push/pull, maneuver, and reposition 25 lbs.
- Ability to reach, bend, and walk
- Finger manipulation
- Ability to comprehend complex materials
- Ability to speak and write English clearly and accurately
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field preferred.
BACKGROUND & EXPERIENCE:
- Desire to work in Social Services and/or with homeless and runaway youth
- Ability to work independently and prioritize projects in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work with a diverse staff and youth; excel in a multi-cultural environment
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred
This position is represented by SEIU 1021 under a collective bargaining agreement.
Larkin Street reserves the right to revise job descriptions or work hours as required.
- Starting at DOE
- Choice of Kaiser medical plans, plus dental and vision- (with coverage at no cost for one of the Kaiser and Dental plans as well as Vision for Employees only)
- Health Care and Dependent Care Flexible spending accounts
- Life Insurance
- Vacation- (starting at 3 weeks, increasing to 5 weeks by year five)
- Sick time
- 11 Paid Holidays + Floating Holidays
- Employee Assistance Program
- Health Advocate Service
- Commuter Benefits Program
- Paid Sabbatical following 5 years of employment
- 403(b) retirement plan
HOW TO APPLY:
Submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org then in the Subject Box please indicate the position that you are applying for.
Larkin Street Youth Services is an equal opportunity employer. Larkin Street Youth Service seeks qualified candidates with interest in the non-profit sector. We are committed to embracing diversity and consider all applicants for all positions without regard to color, ethnic background, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status, or any other legally protected class. We encourage applicants of diverse backgrounds to apply for any open position in which they feel qualified.