REPORTS TO: Manager Larkin Street Academy
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITY: The Underage Education & Employment Specialist is responsible for providing college and career exploration workshops, counseling, and education planning to Larkin Street youth between the ages of 12 to 17 years old. Services will be provided at the Engagement and Community Center (ECC) Center, Diamond Youth Shelter (DYS), and Larkin Street Academy (LSA) (education and employment center).
EXEMPT STATUS: Non-Exempt
UNION STATUS: Union
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Educational Advocacy: Work with Case Managers and SFUSD staff to ensure timely enrollment and appropriate school placement.
- Afterschool Program (ASP)-Provide education and employment workshops, homework lab, college-prep workshops, career-exploration workshops, and outings.
- Underage Employment and Internships-Serve as point person for youth who are engaged in employment or internship activities, link underage youth to the LSA continuum, support youth search for and apply to internships/jobs at outsides agencies, organizations, etc.
- Pre-College and College Counseling-Provide college drop-in hours on weekly basis, FAFSA counseling, assistance in applying to and enrolling in college, follow up appointments to check on status of student, and make referrals to various programs/divisions of CCSF
- Summer Programing-Provide comprehensive summer program which models the LSA continuum
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintain professional standards of performance, demeanor and appearance at all times.
- Perform tasks and responsibilities in a complete and timely manner, complying with agency policies and standards and conforming to the requirements of this job description.
- Maintain a creative, team-building, cooperative approach to job performance and seek to bring a constructive, problem-solving orientation to all tasks.
- Maintain an awareness of the agency’s mission and work to promote the positive individual and social change goals it embodies.
- Exercise discretion and professional judgment at all times keeping with the responsibilities carried personally and by the agency for the care and welfare of staff and to the youth in which we serve.
- Actively strive to upgrade professional skills through engaging in appropriate professional training and experience.
- Maintaining the strictest of confidentiality.
- Ability to work with a diverse staff and excel in a multi-cultural environment.
- Other duties as assigned.
PHYSICAL & LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS:
- Exceptional organizational skills with reliability and consistency in work performance
- Flexibility with a team player mentality
- Ability to work with minimal to moderate supervision
- Good judgment with a proactive approach to problem-solving
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor with great interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to multi-task with the capability to learn quickly and integrate efficiently
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook)
- Ability to multi-task and efficiently manage priority action items
- Requires ability to lift, transfer, push/pull, maneuver, and reposition 25 lbs.
- Ability to reach, bend and walk.
- Finger manipulation.
- Ability to comprehend complex materials.
- Ability to speak and write English clearly and accurately.
- Bachelor Degree in social work or related field
BACKGROUND & EXPERIENCE:
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Outlook)
- Ability to use experience and judgment to manage goals and projects
- Ability to be a self-starter with follow-through skills.
- Basic understanding of issues related to immigration, unaccompanied minors and undocumented homeless youth.
This position is represented by SEIU 1021 under a collective bargaining agreement.
Larkin Street reserves the right to revise job descriptions or work hours as required.
- Starting at DOE
- Choice of Kaiser medical plans, plus dental and vision- (with coverage at no cost for one of the Kaiser and Dental plans as well as Vision for Employees only)
- Health Care and Dependent Care Flexible spending accounts
- Life Insurance
- Vacation- (starting at 3 weeks, increasing to 5 weeks by year five)
- Sick time
- 11 Paid Holidays + Floating Holidays
- Employee Assistance Program
- Health Advocate Service
- Commuter Benefits Program
- Paid Sabbatical following 5 years of employment
- 403(b) retirement plan
HOW TO APPLY:
Submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com then in the Subject Box please indicate the position that you are applying for.
Larkin Street Youth Services is an equal opportunity employer. Larkin Street Youth Service seeks qualified candidates with interest in the non-profit sector. We are committed to embracing diversity and consider all applicants for all positions without regard to color, ethnic background, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status, or any other legally protected class. We encourage applicants of diverse backgrounds to apply for any open position in which they feel qualified.