POSITION TITLE: Youth Advocate – ACAC
REPORTS TO: Program Manager
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITY: Provide peer guidance and support, youth counseling, and group facilitation at Larkin Street Youth Services’ Assisted Care/After Care program. There is an emphasis on working with clients who are the least engaged in services to build relationships and connect them with the program. This work involves making frequent home visits to youth in the community, accompanying clients to appointments and working closely with counselors and case managers to insure effective and coordinated services. Youth Advocates also assist with some administrative duties involved in the program operation.
EXEMPT STATUS: Non Exempt
UNION STATUS: Union
SHIFT(S): Sunday thru Thursday 10am – 6pm
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provide individual peer counseling on HIV prevention issues.
- Develop relationships with youth to assist them in their daily responsibilities in AC/AC and motivate them to progress within the program.
- Accompany youth to appointments and assist them with advocacy as needed.
- Visit clients in their SRO Hotels and apartments.
- Co-facilitate groups.
- Assume duties of residential counselors as needed.
- Assist with provision of lunch and dinner to clients as needed.
- Maintain files of assessment forms, new client charts.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist with data entry as needed.
- Transport mail, checks, and documents between sites on a daily basis.
- Administrative/ receptionist duties as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
PHYSICAL & LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS:
- Must also have ability to work with diverse staff, clients, and volunteers.
- Knowledge of HIV/AIDS prevention and harm reduction strategies, and experience working with HIV Positive Individuals required
- Ability to feel comfortable working in and walking around the Tenderloin neighborhood of San Francisco, visiting SRO Hotels, etc.
- Ability to work with diverse high-risk adolescents and young adults who are living on the streets.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Bi-Lingual in Spanish preferred.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook)
- Ability to multi-task and efficiently manage priority action items
- Evening hours are required.
- Requires ability to lift, transfer, push/pull, maneuver, and reposition 25 lbs.
- Ability to reach, bend and walk.
- Finger manipulation.
- Ability to comprehend complex materials.
- Ability to speak and write English clearly and accurately.
- High School Diploma; Bachelors in related field, preferred.
BACKGROUND & EXPERIENCE:
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel
- Experience with data entry and word processing
- Ability to perform clerical tasks and front office reception.
- Valid CA driver’s license and acceptance onto LSYS agency insurance preferred
- Ability to walk between program sites (approximately ½ mile) and SRO Hotels each day
- Must be a self-starter with excellent follow-through skills.
- Must be 3+ years clean and sober