REPORTS TO: Program Manager
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITY: Provide career and academic instruction to students (ages 17-24 years old) with varying instructional levels. Develop innovative and engaging college and career exploration curriculum and lesson plans to meet the needs of the students, including a focus on Career and Technical Education as well as certificate programs. Assist in providing support to Larkin Street’s youth internship programs for clients enrolled into youth employee education opportunities.
EXEMPT STATUS: Non Exempt
UNION STATUS: Union
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Facilitate up to college and career exploration workshops/activities each week
- Regularly meet with the youth to gauge progress and develop short term and long term educational goals.
- Provide outreach, enrollment, placement, counseling, and follow-up for youth internship programs on-site and hosted off-site
- Assist with the recruitment and assessment of prospective GED students, support with GED services
- Attend all staff meetings and participate in programmatic activities
- Aid in the running of the Larkin Street academy (education and employment) center
- Implement networking strategies with employers including presentations and special events
- Meet regularly with client’s case manager/advocate to discuss client progress in education and employment
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Fulfill reporting requirements
- Identify and outreach to agencies that serve youth in need of education and employment services
- Responsible for supporting program services within the milieu. For example, crisis intervention or helping to maintain the safety of the program.
- Responsible for contributing towards the care and welfare of staff and to the clients we serve.
- Other duties as assigned.
PHYSICAL & LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS:
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook)
- Ability to speak in front of large groups of individuals
- Ability to multi-task and efficiently manage priority action items
- Requires ability to lift, transfer, push/pull, maneuver, and reposition 25 lbs.
- Ability to reach, bend and walk.
- Finger manipulation.
- Ability to comprehend complex materials.
- Ability to speak and write English clearly and accurately.
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field
BACKGROUND & EXPERIENCE:
- Excellent Customer Service skills
- Ability to develop creative curriculum and education plans for youth using an asset building approach.
- Desire to work in Social Services and/or with homeless and runaway youth.
- Ability to work independently and prioritize projects in a fast paced environment.
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred
This position is represented by SEIU 1021 under a collective bargaining agreement.
Larkin Street reserves the right to revise job descriptions or work hours as required.
- Starting at DOE
- Choice of Kaiser medical plans, plus dental and vision- (with coverage at no cost for one of the Kaiser and Dental plans as well as Vision for Employees only)
- Health Care and Dependent Care Flexible spending accounts
- Life Insurance
- Vacation- (starting at 3 weeks, increasing to 5 weeks by year five)
- Sick time
- 11 Paid Holidays + Floating Holidays
- Employee Assistance Program
- Health Advocate Service
- Commuter Benefits Program
- Paid Sabbatical following 5 years of employment
- 403(b) retirement plan
HOW TO APPLY:
Submit a cover letter and resume to [email protected] then in the Subject Box please indicate the position that you are applying for.
Larkin Street Youth Services is an equal opportunity employer. Larkin Street Youth Service seeks qualified candidates with interest in the non-profit sector. We are committed to embracing diversity and consider all applicants for all positions without regard to color, ethnic background, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status, or any other legally protected class. We encourage applicants of diverse backgrounds to apply for any open position in which they feel qualified.