In today’s world, a phone is not a luxury — it’s a necessity. From finding housing or a job to staying in touch with a friend, a doctor, or a case manager, young people experiencing homelessness need the lifeline which a phone and other devices provide.
Here’s one way you can help young people experiencing homelessness: have a device like a smartphone, tablet or laptop lying around? Donate it to Larkin Street Youth Services. We’ll clean, reset and update your device and pass it on to a young person in our programs.
While a phone won’t solve homelessness, it’s one tool that makes it easier for people to get the housing and jobs they need. Ultimately, Larkin Street continues to rely on monetary donations from members of the community like you to provide the essential housing, education and mental health supports that will help young people reach their full potential. Contribute now online or read on for details on how to donate a device!
Requirements for donated devices:
- small/medium sized devices including smartphones, tablets, laptops, headphones and speakers
- less than three years old (for older laptops in very good shape, we can make exceptions)
- in good working order with no major cracks/damage
- include a charger and any other accessories
- are not carrier-locked
- are not password-locked (including touch/face ID)
Ready to donate a device you no longer need?
- Just drop it off at 134 Golden Gate Ave., San Francisco, between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. If you need to make arrangements outside these hours, contact [email protected]. For corporations or individuals with more than 10 devices, please contact us to discuss the details at [email protected]
- We’ll collect a bit of contact information in case we run into any device locks or other issues. You can fill out the form in-person or download it here and bring a completed version with you.
- We’ll give you a receipt for your donation and pass your phone on to a young person in need!
Remember, even if you don’t have a device to donate, you can still make a difference for young people experiencing homelessness by contributing to Larkin Street Youth Services.