Larkin Street provides youth between the ages of 12 and 24 with the help they need to rebuild their lives. Each year, more than 3,000 youth walk through our doors seeking help. We give them a place where they can feel safe; rebuild their sense of self-respect, trust, and hope; learn school, life and job skills; and find the confidence to build a future.
We raise the bar by redefining success from securing independent housing to achieving a permanent pathway out of poverty. We have established bold goals for the youth in our services:
• Living-wage employment
• Two years of post-secondary education
• Safe and stable housing
• Physical and emotional well-being
POSITION TITLE: Education Liaison Specialist
REPORTS TO: Program Manager
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITY: The primary role of the Education Liaison Specialist is to provide educational instruction, career development, counseling and planning to Larkin Street youth. The Education Liaison Specialist provides youth with daily group and individual instruction in GED preparation, literacy and numeracy. The Education Liaison Specialist will work primarily within Larkin Street Academy’s Learning Centers.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provide up to eight hours of group instruction per week
- Facilitate education tutoring drop in hours
- Regularly meet with youth to gauge progress and work on areas of improvement
- Coordinate with other Larkin Street Academy staff to provide more opportunity for education and employment services
- Coordinate with Larkin Street Youth Services case managers and program sites to ensure the best possible services are delivered
- Work with other area service providers to provide the greatest array of options to youth citywide
- Complete all required data collection takes place and information sharing is completed.
- Monitor and track client’s progress in the workplace and/or educational placement through regular communication with key players (employment supervisors, teachers, academic advisors, etc.)
- Provide administrative support to ensure the effective functioning of the Larkin Street Academy facility.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform tasks and responsibilities in a complete and timely manner, complying with agency policies and standards and conforming to the requirements of this job description.
- Maintain a creative, team-building, cooperative approach to job performance and seek to bring a constructive, problem-solving orientation to all tasks.
- Maintain an awareness of the agency’s mission and work to promote the positive individual and social change goals it embodies.
- Exercise discretion and professional judgment at all times keeping with the responsibilities carried personally and by the agency for the care and welfare of staff and to the youth in which we serve.
- Actively strive to upgrade professional skills through engaging in appropriate professional training and experience.
- Maintaining the strictest of confidentiality.
- Ability to work with a diverse staff and excel in a multi-cultural environment.
- Responsible for supporting program services within the milieu. For example, crisis intervention or helping to maintain the safety of the program.
- Responsible for contributing towards the care and welfare of staff and to the clients we serve.
- Other duties as assigned.
PHYSICAL & LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS:
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook)
- Ability to speak in front of large groups of individuals
- Ability to multi-task and efficiently manage priority action items
- Requires ability to lift, transfer, push/pull, maneuver, and reposition 25 lbs.
- Ability to reach, bend and walk.
- Finger manipulation.
- Ability to comprehend complex materials.
- Ability to speak and write English clearly and accurately.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education, Psychology, Social Work or related field
BACKGROUND & EXPERIENCE:
- Ability to develop creative curriculum and education plans for youth using an assets building approach.
- Desire to work in Social Services and/or with homeless and runaway youth.
- Ability to work independently and prioritize projects in a fast paced environment.
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
This position is represented by SEIU 1021 under a collective bargaining agreement.
Larkin Street reserves the right to revise job descriptions or work hours as required.