PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITY: To support and enhance college and career readiness programming offered in Larkin Street Academy programs and across the agency for transitional age youth (17-24), specifically in the fields of arts & music.
The Arts Instructor should have:
- Knowledge and experience in the fields of music education, music theory, music production, and recording.
- Knowledge of general education topics (reading, writing, research).
- Experience teaching in a classroom environment
- Experience teaching through both student-centered and trauma-informed pedagogy
- Ability to create a learning environment conducive to exploring sensitive and personal topics.
- The ability to communicate, connect with, and inspire learning in students of diverse academic, socio-economic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds as well as those with learning disabilities.
- Logistical and administrative abilities to coordinate and collaborate across programs
REPORTS TO: Larkin Street Academy Manager of Education
EXEMPT STATUS: Non-Exempt
UNION STATUS: Union
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Teach regular group classes in music production, recording, and instrument instruction (preferably piano and/or guitar).
- Teach and mentor youth artists one-on-one in recording, music production, instrumentation, and/or vocal work (3-6 hours/week) in the Art Studio.
- Create and deliver classes in music and the arts aligned with Arts, Media and Education CTE Pathway Standards.
- Collaborate with the Art Program, Art Studio, Larkin Street Academy education and employment program staff, and community partners.
- Build and maintain relationships with local arts and music organizations.
- Develop lessons that are interactive, creative, and that combine different learning approaches.
- Keep accurate records and intake information on each participant including attendance, assessment, consent forms, surveys, etc.
- Motivate students to increase their performance, attendance, and program retention.
- Monitor daily classroom space and maintain appearance to maximize youth engagement.
- Connect youth to college and career programming offered through Larkin Street Academy.
- Support youth in academic tutoring in classroom and individual tutoring sessions.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform tasks and responsibilities in a complete and timely manner, complying with agency policies and standards and conforming to the requirements of this job description.
- Maintain a creative, team-building, cooperative approach to job performance and seek to bring a constructive, problem-solving orientation to all tasks.
- Maintain an awareness of the agency’s mission and work to promote the positive individual and social change goals it embodies.
- Exercise discretion and professional judgment at all times keeping with responsibilities carried personally and by the agency for the care and welfare of staff and to the youth in which we serve.
- Actively strive to upgrade professional development skills through engaging in appropriate professional training and experience.
- Maintain the strictest confidentiality.
- Responsible for supporting program services within the milieu. For example, crisis intervention or helping to maintain the safety of the program.
- Other duties as assigned.
PHYSICAL & LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS:
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, and Outlook).
- Ability to speak in front of large groups of individuals.
- Ability to multi-task and efficiently manage priority action items.
- Requires ability to lift, transfer, push/pull, maneuver, and reposition 25 lbs.
- Ability to reach, bend, and walk.
- Finger manipulation.
- Ability to comprehend complex materials.
- Ability to speak and write English clearly and accurately.
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field preferred.
BACKGROUND & EXPERIENCE:
- Desire to work in Social Services and/or with homeless and runaway youth.
- Ability to work independently and prioritize projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work with a diverse staff and youth; excel in a multi-cultural environment.
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
- Previous experience in an art or music related field a plus.
- Competitive Salary & Excellent Benefits:
- Choice of Kaiser medical plans, plus dental and vision
- Health Care and Dependent Care Flexible spending accounts.
- Life Insurance.
- Vacation- (starting at 3 weeks, increasing to 5 weeks by year five)
- Sick time.
- 11 Paid Holidays + Floating Holidays.
- Employee Assistance Program.
- Health Advocate Service.
- Commuter Benefits Program.
- Paid Sabbatical following 5 years of employment.
- 403(b) retirement plan.
This position is represented by SEIU 1021 under a collective bargaining agreement.
Larkin Street is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Larkin Street reserves the right to revise job descriptions or work hours as required.