Larkin Street provides youth between the ages of 12 and 24 with the help they need to rebuild their lives. Each year, more than 3,000 youth walk through our doors seeking help. We give them a place where they can feel safe; rebuild their sense of self-respect, trust, and hope; learn school, life and job skills; and find the confidence to build a future.
We raise the bar by redefining success from securing independent housing to achieving a permanent pathway out of poverty. We have established bold goals for the youth in our services:
• Living-wage employment
• Two years of post-secondary education
• Safe and stable housing
• Physical and emotional well-being
REPORTS TO: Program Manager
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITY: The primary role of the Case Manager III is to provide comprehensive strengths based case management services to homeless and/or marginally housed transitional aged youth. The Case Manager III is responsible for the comprehensive evaluation of bio-psychosocial, emotional, educational, vocational and functional needs of young people; Develops an individualized service plans in coordination with Larkin Street Youth Services continuum of care as well as leverages relevant community resources as needed; Case Manager III must lead collaborative service planning and have a thorough understanding of the stages of change and development. Case Manager III will have the opportunity for Clinical Supervision after successfully completing their 90 day performance evaluation.
EXEMPT STATUS: Non Exempt
UNION STATUS: Union
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provides crisis prevention, intervention and safety planning services, along with stress management and life skills development including assisting young people in applying for and obtaining benefits and housing.
- Is responsible for intake and assessment; direct service linkage and referral; case planning and contracting; case coordination and advocacy; and follow up and after care.
- Works closely with community behavioral health providers and internal personal service teams to ensure coordinated and effective services.
- Provides an intensive array of services and supports, including housing and basic needs assistance, physical health care, benefits assistance, enrollment in Larkin Street Academy, and referral to integrated mental health services.
- Maintains accurate detailed observation and progress records and completes necessary electronic data entry into client management information system (ETO) in a timely manner. Identifies trends in data to assist in collaborative service planning.
- Adheres to laws regarding confidentiality and reporting requirements and maintains necessary compliance documentation.
- Develops and maintains good relationships with clients.
- Collaborates with fellow staff members and established community partners, including property managers and landlords.
- Provides coverage for program/site staff and performs duties in the milieu which may include desk coverage, cooking, and cleaning.
- Provides accompaniment to client appointments in the community.
- Completes safety and wellness checks regularly in residential units.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Participates in organizational meetings (all-staff, CQI, client review, etc)
- Evenings and weekends will be required when program needs dictate.
- Ability to teach and model life skills
- Responsible for supporting program services within the milieu. For example, crisis intervention or helping to maintain the safety of the program.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Passion for our agency’s mission in maintaining a positive, upbeat attitude.
- Exceptional organizational skills with reliability and consistency in work performance and attendance.
- Flexibility with a team player mentality.
- Ability to work with minimal to moderate supervision.
- Good judgment with a proactive approach to problem-solving.
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor with great interpersonal and communication skills.
- A thorough understanding of confidentiality and discretion and a working knowledge of HIPAA.
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and other web based software solutions.
PHYSICAL & LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS:
- Requires ability to lift, transfer, push/pull, maneuver, and reposition 25 lbs.
- Ability to reach, bend and walk.
- Finger manipulation.
- Ability to comprehend complex materials.
- Ability to speak and write English clearly and accurately.
- Bachelor’s Degree in social sciences such as: psychology, criminal justice, social work and/or public health preferred. Master’s Degree of Social Work Required.
BACKGROUND & EXPERIENCE:
- Ability to identify, assess and intervene effectively with behavioral health issues.
- Experience working with strength-based and client-centered models, restorative and trauma informed care practices.
- Working knowledge of issues facing homeless and at-risk youth.
- Valid California driver’s license with clear DMV record.
- Starting at 24.58
- Choice of Kaiser medical plans, plus dental and vision- (with coverage at no cost for one of the Kaiser and Dental plans as well as Vision for Employees only)
- Health Care and Dependent Care Flexible spending accounts
- Life Insurance
- Vacation- (starting at 3 weeks, increasing to 5 weeks by year five)
- Sick time
- 11 Paid Holidays + Floating Holidays
- Employee Assistance Program
- Health Advocate Service
- Commuter Benefits Program
- Paid Sabbatical following 5 years of employment
- 403(b) retirement plan
- Schedule: M, T, Th, F 9am – 5pm; W 11am – 7pm, some weekend and holiday work will
HOW TO APPLY:
Submit a cover letter and resume to [email protected] then in the Subject Box please indicate the position that you are applying for.
Larkin Street Youth Services is an equal opportunity employer. Larkin Street Youth Service seeks qualified candidates with interest in the non-profit sector. We are committed to embracing diversity and consider all applicants for all positions without regard to color, ethnic background, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status, or any other legally protected class. We encourage applicants of diverse backgrounds to apply for any open position in which they feel qualified.
This position is represented by SEIU 1021 under a collective bargaining agreement.
Larkin Street reserves the right to revise job descriptions or work hours as required.