PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITY: Support the employment and educational needs of the Larkin Street youth. Instruct and guide clients through approved curriculum of resume building, cover letter creation, job/ career search, mock interviews and proper interviewing skills as part of supporting the Employment or Education plan for youth. This position will also help to administer and proctor the TABE test as needed.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Help in the Interviewing and assessing of clients for education and employment needs.
- Participate in Monthly Larkin Street Academy Graduations, collaborating with the other workforce development, education, and Youth Force programs.
- Assist clients in job search, securing and retaining employment.
- Maintain up-to-date records of job retention.
- Implement relationship-building strategies with employers including presentations, special events, employer acknowledgement, and networking.
- Assist in the design of promotional materials (monthly calendar, fliers, brochures, etc.) targeting potential employers, homeless youth, and social service agencies.
- Fulfill reporting requirements as designated by education/employment services department.
- Administer Larkin Street Academy assessments and education surveys.
- Identify and outreach to agencies that serve youth in need of education and employment services.
- Tasks and committees as assigne
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintain professional standards of performance, demeanor and appearance at all times.
- Perform tasks and responsibilities in a complete and timely manner, complying with agency policies and standards and conforming to the requirements of this job description.
- Maintain a creative, team-building, cooperative approach to job performance and seek to bring a constructive, problem-solving orientation to all tasks.
- Maintain an awareness of the agency’s mission and work to promote the positive individual and social change goals it embodies.
- Exercise discretion and professional judgment at all times keeping with the responsibilities carried personally and by the agency for the care and welfare of staff and to the youth in which we serve.
- Actively strive to upgrade professional skills through engaging in appropriate professional training and experience.
- Maintaining the strictest of confidentiality.
- Ability to work with a diverse staff and excel in a multi-cultural environment.
- Other duties as assigned.
PHYSICAL & LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS:
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook)
- Ability to speak in front of large groups of individuals
- Ability to multi-task and efficiently manage priority action items
- Excellent Customer Service skills
- Bi-lingual or Spanish preferred
- Requires ability to lift, transfer, push/pull, maneuver, and reposition 25 lbs.
- Ability to reach, bend and walk.
- Finger manipulation.
- Ability to comprehend complex materials.
- Ability to speak and write English clearly and accurately.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred or equivalent experience.
BACKGROUND & EXPERIENCE:
- Three to Four (3-4) years of progressive experience in education workforce development or related discipline.
- Experience working with adolescents as a vocational counselor/ job developer or in the field of public relations Experience in working in a multi-cultural, diverse environment. Highly desired.
- Starting at $17.69 DOE
- Choice of Kaiser medical plans, plus dental and vision- (with coverage at no cost for one of the Kaiser and Dental plans as well as Vision for Employees only)
- Health Care and Dependent Care Flexible spending accounts
- Life Insurance
- Vacation- (starting at 3 weeks, increasing to 5 weeks by year five)
- Sick time
- 11 Paid Holidays + Floating Holidays
- Employee Assistance Program
- Health Advocate Service
- Commuter Benefits Program
- Paid Sabbatical following 5 years of employment
- 403(b) retirement plan
This position is represented by SEIU 1021 under a collective bargaining agreement.
Larkin Street reserves the right to revise job descriptions or work hours as required.