PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITY: The Grants Accountant is a part of the Finance team. The Grants Accountant will work closely with the Senior Grants Accountant to assure all monthly billing is submitted. This position will prepare monthly invoices, data entry, allocation of funds, manage release and booking of private grants. The Grants Accountant prepares financial reports for public and private grants and contracts. Prepares journal entries, ledger account reconciliations for private funds. This position will meet regularly with the development team to assure incoming private funds are processed and documented in Finance. The Grants Accountant will perform work to ensure compliance with Larkin Street Youth Service policies, generally accepted accounting principles, and internal control guidelines. This position will work both independently and as part of the team, with outside vendors, subcontractors, public agencies, and internal staff form various departments in order to complete his/her responsibilities.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Monitor, release and track private grant spending
- Preparation of invoices and reports for public funding agencies and private foundation grants.
- Preparation of financial statements for internal programs and departments
- Journal entries and reconciliation of private funding
- Analyze monthly spending per contract
- Assist with preparation and disbursement of monthly internal Budget vs Actual reports
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist in preparation and updates of budgets and reports for funding agencies
- Assist during Audits as needed
- Other duties as assigned.
PHYSICAL & LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS:
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, Abila and Outlook)
- Clear understanding of accounting principles, management accounting methods, government accounting policies, cost allocation procedures and internal control
- Knowledge of GAAP and FASB
- Ability to use experience and judgment to manage goals and projects
- Ability to be a self-starter with follow-through skills.
- Requires ability to lift, transfer, push/pull, maneuver, and reposition 25 lbs.
- Ability to reach, bend and walk.
- Finger manipulation.
- Ability to comprehend complex materials.
- Ability to speak and write English clearly and accurately.
- Bachelors in related field (finance, accounting, business) or related experience.
BACKGROUND & EXPERIENCE:
- 1-3 years of progressive accounting experience.
- Understanding of nonprofit accounting and experience with public and private funding contracts
- Nonprofit experience with MIP accounting software a plus, but not required.
Larkin Street reserves the right to revise job descriptions or work hours as required.
Larkin Street is an Equal Opportunity Employer