POSITION TITLE: Outreach Counselor – HSRC
REPORTS TO: Program Manager
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITY: The primary responsibility of the Outreach Counselor is to provide; Street-based outreach services to youth ages 12-24 as well as organizational outreach services to youth-serving organizations.
EXEMPT STATUS: Non Exempt
UNION STATUS: Union
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Maintains a safe and supportive drop-in space and coordinates care for youth ages 12-24.
- The program functions from a client-centered model, and utilizes motivational interviewing to strengthen goals and explore ambivalence.
- It is essential that the Outreach Counselor creates safe and supportive relationships with homeless adolescents and young adults, and motivates adolescents and young adults to consider alternatives to street life.
- Provides HIV prevention information and services, mental and behavioral health services, harm reduction interventions and individual and group counseling based on the identified needs/goals of the individuals.
- This position is responsible for working alongside teammates to seek consultation on youth who are presenting with challenging needs and to think creatively to build rapport with even the most challenging youth.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides information and referrals to youth within the Larkin Street service continuum and to community based providers.
- Ability to work evenings shifts, weekends and holidays.
- Responsible for supporting program services within the milieu. For example, crisis intervention or helping to maintain the safety of the program.
- Responsible for contributing towards the care and welfare of staff and to the clients we serve.
- Other duties as assigned.
PHYSICAL & LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS:
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook)
- Ability to multi-task and efficiently manage priority action items
- Requires ability to lift, transfer, push/pull, maneuver, and reposition 25 lbs.
- Ability to reach, bend and walk.
- Finger manipulation.
- Ability to comprehend complex materials.
- Ability to speak and write English clearly and accurately.
- Bachelor’s or equivalent experience in Counseling, Psychology or Social Work, or other health related field.
BACKGROUND & EXPERIENCE:
- 2-3 years of experience working with high-risk youth in street outreach, a shelter and/or transitional or supportive housing program(s).
- Ability to work with diverse high-risk adolescents and young adults who are living on the streets.
- Working knowledge of issues facing homeless youth.
- Must be a self-starter with excellent follow-through skills.
- Must also have ability to work with diverse staff, clients, and volunteers.
- Ability to become certified HIV test counselor.
- Basic knowledge of substance use issues.
- Must have a clean driving record and CA driver’s license.
- Bi-Lingual in Spanish a bonus.
- Starting: $17.17 – DOE
- Choice of Kaiser medical plans, plus dental and vision- (with coverage at no cost for one of the Kaiser and Dental plans as well as Vision for Employees only)
- Health Care and Dependent Care Flexible spending accounts
- Life Insurance
- Vacation- (starting at 3 weeks, increasing to 5 weeks by year five)
- Sick time
- 11 Paid Holidays + Floating Holidays
- Employee Assistance Program
- Health Advocate Service
- Commuter Benefits Program
- Paid Sabbatical following 5 years of employment
- 403(b) retirement plan
How to Apply: please forward your cover letter & resume to: [email protected]
In the Subject Line of your email, please indicate the position applying to.