PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITY: The primary role of the Residential ETP Instructor/Education and Employment Counselor is to facilitate and deliver the complete Job readiness/employment development curriculum to clients residing in residential facilities as well as those enrolled in Larkin Street Academy programs. Additional aspects of the position is to identify and cultivate employment and education opportunities and place youth in positions appropriate to their skills, aptitudes, and interests. Other key functions of is to develop and maintain ongoing relationships with employers, guest speakers, and volunteers. In this position, it is the responsibility of the Employment and Education Counselor to assist in the design and creation of promotional materials for the program as well as collaborate with clients’ case managers, counselors, job coaches, and mentors to facilitate client success in the workplace and education. Another key aspect of this position is to assist youth in development their ability to maintain employment by monitoring their clients through the first 90 days of employment.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Teach Job Readiness Employment Training Program (ETP) Class to client in residential facilities.
- Provide support and coverage for LSA ETP instructor as needed.
- Implement job readiness curriculum (example: resume building, cover letter creation, self-esteem improvement training, and proper interviewing skills)
- Teach Microsoft Office applications, paying most attention to Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Recruit for ETP/Job readiness class within the agency and the local community
- Provide one on one Job Readiness Support for clients as needed.
- Interview and assess clients for enrollment into the ETP class
- Assist clients in job search, securing and retaining employment after Completing the ETP class
- Track clients progress in the workplace through regular communication with employment supervisors and maintain up-to-date records of job retention
- Implement relationship-building strategies with employers including presentations, special events, employer acknowledgement, and networking
- Assist in the design of promotional materials (monthly calendar, fliers, brochures, etc.) targeting potential employers, homeless youth, and social service agencies
- Meet regularly with client’s case manager/advocate to discuss client progress
- Fulfill client data reporting requirements (ETO) as designated by Larkin Street Academy
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide additional support to colleagues in Larkin Street Academy as needed
- Administer agency assessments and surveys
- Assist youth in developing and achieving education goals as outlined in education individualized service plans
- Provide support for department annual Job fair
- Provide college preparation and access counseling to youth
- Identify and outreach to agencies that serve youth in need of education and employment services
- Responsible for supporting program services within the milieu. For example, crisis intervention or helping to maintain the safety of the program
- Responsible for contributing towards the care and welfare of staff and to the clients we serve
- Other duties as assigned
PHYSICAL & LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS:
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook)
- Ability to speak in front of large groups of individuals
- Ability to multi-task and efficiently manage priority action items
- Excellent Customer Service skills
- Bilingual, fluency in Spanish preferred
- Requires ability to lift, transfer, push/pull, maneuver, and reposition 25 lbs.
- Ability to reach, bend and walk.
- Finger manipulation.
- Ability to comprehend complex materials.
- Ability to speak and write English clearly and accurately.
- Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a bachelor’s degree in Social Services, Education, or related field.
BACKGROUND & EXPERIENCE:
- Three to Four (3-4) years of progressive experience in education workforce development or related discipline.
- Experience working with adolescents as a vocational counselor/ job developer or in the field of public relations
- Experience in working in a multicultural, diverse environment. Highly desired.
This position is represented by SEIU 1021 under a collective bargaining agreement.
Larkin Street reserves the right to revise job descriptions or work hours as required.
Larkin Street is an Equal Opportunity Employer